Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Crank/Bearing Clip Discussion
04-19-2014, 03:49 AM (This post was last modified: 04-19-2014 03:59 AM by jmccartney.)
Crank/Bearing Clip Discussion
The crank/bearings currently attach using a "clip" method. It has been noted that there could be a weakness in this particular area of the design. Lets discuss options. I do feel a little apprehensive talking design changes without a actual working Shellmo to judge, but as I am modifying parts to print on the replicator 2 around .2mm resolution it would be nice to work in any easy fixes now.

I am attaching a picture of a bearing cover that I designed today. Rainer suggested this concept. He also suggest enclosing the entire top, right now I am going to leave it open because I like to look at the insides. At some point closing it makes a lot of sense to me.

This last picture is from Sho (originally posted on the fb group page) showing prototype v3 of Shellmo with a "under support."

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-19-2014, 08:44 AM
RE: Crank/Bearing Clip Discussion
Hello James,

I would place the bearing slit out of the middle. This bearing has to withstand two forces:

Upwards force by the legs to carry Shellmo's weight and
forward forces generated by the worm gear.

A slit in the middle could be opened by the gear forces. Or at least you will have some extra wear at the slit.

[Image: 2014-04-19.003029-k.jpg]

You could build an U-shaped bearing without any disadvantage
[Image: 2014-04-19.003035-k.jpg]

I agree with you to have an open cover for trials. Give it some cross beams and ears for M3 screws also in the middle section.
[Image: 2014-04-19.003041-k.jpg]

Rainer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-20-2014, 11:02 AM
RE: Crank/Bearing Clip Discussion
(04-19-2014 08:44 AM)steamboat Wrote:  Hello James,

I would place the bearing slit out of the middle. This bearing has to withstand two forces:

Upwards force by the legs to carry Shellmo's weight and
forward forces generated by the worm gear.

A slit in the middle could be opened by the gear forces. Or at least you will have some extra wear at the slit.

Yeah, I think this is where I don't have the skills required to do the mechanical design portion of these modifications. Your explanations make perfect sense now that you mention them.

I will have to think on it, right now the most noticeable problem is needing the cross members and its evident now that I have printed the test cover, that it needs tied down like you mentioned in the middle with screws, but placement is going to be an issue.
Find all posts by this user