Post Reply 
 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Making Shell Cambria
04-24-2014, 11:17 PM
Post: #11
RE: Making Shell Cambria
Great -
James, I noticed that you have split the Shellmo shell into "easy" to print parts. Is this design accessible at any Shellmo download server? If not, could you please email your stl set to rainer at radow dot org I would love to try it out but don't like to repeat your work of splitting the stl. Does the support came automaticly from your slicer or have you done this by hand?

Additional the RepetierHost told me that the tail stl file is not a closed shell and I should repair it. Did you have any issues like that with your printing software?

Rainer
http://www.steamboating.de
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-25-2014, 01:03 AM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2014 01:04 AM by jmccartney.)
Post: #12
RE: Making Shell Cambria
(04-24-2014 11:17 PM)steamboat Wrote:  Great -
James, I noticed that you have split the Shellmo shell into "easy" to print parts. Is this design accessible at any Shellmo download server? If not, could you please email your stl set to rainer at radow dot org I would love to try it out but don't like to repeat your work of splitting the stl. Does the support came automaticly from your slicer or have you done this by hand?

Additional the RepetierHost told me that the tail stl file is not a closed shell and I should repair it. Did you have any issues like that with your printing software?

Here are my files. I provided two different head parts. The first one doesn't have the snap in connectors just holes for m3. I printed this for myself since I did not want to print so much support and the front snaps are not important to me at all. The second is Sho's version but slightly modified where the head meets the vertebrate parts.

I think I ended up printing this at .2 or .25 fairly fast with raft and supports. The supports were just the kind that makerware automatically adds in. I would certainly print each piece one at a time at least until you know its going to work right and your supports are good. I did have a problem with a few of his files where faces were reversed and would not print right until i flipped them.

I have not gotten a chance to clean the parts and glue them together. (note head hip and 4 vertebrate in my design do not snap, they have to be glued, someone may want to modify parts further to make them snap but honestly I think people have access to glue more than a printer than can print accurately enough for snap parts to really work well and be strong). Using cyanoacrylate (crazy/super glue) joints are actually stronger than the plastic itself.

I might suggest waiting a bit and letting me clean and glue the parts to double check things work right. I am going to do that during lunch an hour from now. Will update this thread once that is complete.

The wings are just the stl's show posted, no edits.


Attached File(s)
.zip  shellmo-shell.zip (Size: 721.97 KB / Downloads: 171)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-25-2014, 01:24 AM
Post: #13
RE: Making Shell Cambria
I can tell you right now that the vertebrae pieces are not going to work as is. At least in PLA. Maybe your ABS will have a better time, but I can't remove the support without breaking a top or bottom clip off. I will try re-enforcing them today and see if I have any better luck. The other pieces seem fine so far. Will update tomorrow about this time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-25-2014, 01:55 AM
Post: #14
RE: Making Shell Cambria
Thank you for the files and the info. I also think that one has to change something/a lot to make it printable on flat surfaces. I agree with you that some glue and screws are not a no-no!

I will fokus on making the RepWalker chassis printable and ready for publishing. I ordered 6 more servos from HobbyKing to build 3 more functional RepWalkers. http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_...uct=44049. The size around 40 mm wide and 20 mm heigh seem to be an easy to surce standard.

Rainer
http://www.steamboating.de
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-2014, 12:56 AM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2014 12:56 AM by jmccartney.)
Post: #15
RE: Making Shell Cambria
I printed a new round of the backbone parts and now am having trouble snapping the wings on without breaking the wings....Not having fun with these snap parts Wink

I did a bunch of sanding and can worked one in but its really really tight. I think i need to bevel the front of the clip, maybe it will slide in easier...

The first set of modifications shown by the yellow arrows. I extended the clips to the edges so they would be sturdier. I also made each part a true solid so they print a lot stronger. But now they are too sturdy...

I am thinking of beveling the edges shown by the red arrows.


Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)
   
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 


Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)