Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Micropede Leg Design
04-28-2014, 07:22 PM
Micropede Leg Design
I start this thread for all people who want to understand, design and build the Micropede leg.

First of all I want to understand the geometry of the leg components - independend of how it's driven. So I need to know the length of all parts, the pivot points and it's relations to each other, the crank geometry and so on. Sho, could you please provide us with such data to start with. Your design will be a good starting point for modifications.

With this I will try to design a single leg with all components for easy printing. After this step one can think about how to drive this (by worm gear, crank, belt or what ever.

By the way, what is the design weight of Shellmo which the legs have to carry?

Rainer
http://www.steamboating.de
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2014, 11:46 PM
RE: Micropede Leg Design
(04-28-2014 07:22 PM)steamboat Wrote:  By the way, what is the design weight of Shellmo which the legs have to carry?

This is a MAJOR question I have had and asked. I think Sho must have missed it. http://shellmo.net/thread-10.html

I don't see much issue with the legs for printing besides at the joint where the leg meets the pin. IMO we should consider "pinning" the leg to the "pin part". We could use 1.75mm filament as a pin like many projects do. The snap on legs have been a issue apparently (according to shellmo.org make page) (as has all snap parts..).
Find all posts by this user
04-29-2014, 12:02 AM
(04-28-2014 07:22 PM)steamboat Wrote:  I start this thread for all people who want to understand, design and build the Micropede leg.

Thanks Rainer, I started looking into the leg this weekend, so its funny that you mention it (I tried working in a pin hole for filament pin, but the diameters are so small already that the parts are going to need a rework to at least strengthen that end). My daughter has been ill so I have not gotten a lot done lately but I feel a bit out of my league with the mechanical aspects of this issue.
Find all posts by this user
04-29-2014, 12:10 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2014 12:14 AM by steamboat.)
(04-28-2014 11:46 PM)jmccartney Wrote:  We could use 1.75mm filament as a pin like many projects do.
I am using 3 mm filament Big Grin - but I think the filament is a good element for pivot pins - strong and with a smoth surface to ensure less friction. Imagin 32 legs with at least 5 pins per leg = 160 pins! Reduce the friction for 1% per pin and you are the king!

(04-29-2014 12:02 AM)jmccartney Wrote:  My daughter has been ill
All the best from Germany!
(04-29-2014 12:02 AM)jmccartney Wrote:  ... I feel a bit out of my league with the mechanical aspects of this issue.
But you was the one who tried it out already and kept me thinking about it from 6000 km distance!

Rainer
http://www.steamboating.de
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user